Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Slide Inn



I may love Brunch now, but it wasn't always this way. When I was a kid I would order chicken caesar salads or grilled cheese sandwiches, but as I have gotten older I have started to appreciate brunch.

A couple of weeks ago I was invited to try out a Portland restaurant The Slide Inn, and we made it out just this last weekend. 

Once a month, my family and I try out a new brunch place in town. So far the options for gluten free have been pretty slim at most places we have tried, or on occasion just terrible.

This is not the case with Slide Inn. The owner/chef is Eugene Bingham, who spent a portion of his career in Germany, this is absolutely present in their menu.

The Slide Inn offers brunch, lunch, happy hour and dinner. I took a look at all their menus and I have to admit I cannot wait to go back for dinner.  Everything looks delish and most menu items either are or can be made gluten free.  Eugen’s wife Lenor is gluten and dairy free so you can trust that they know what they are doing when it comes to cooking for those with dietary restrictions.

For Brunch we tried a few different options.

My husband got a sausage scramble and my sister got the eggs benedict, she loved every single bite, it was so filling she had to bring some home. 

Both the scramble and the benedict came with a potato rosti – which I would describe as similar to mashed potatoes but fried on the flat top – I stole a bite and basically they are the best hash browns you will ever eat. Creamy and crispy. Yum.

My parents split the salmon hash (the special) and the Pflaumenschmarrnm. My dad raved about it. Sadly I couldn’t try it but it sure looked good. The plums used are locally sourced from a neighbor of the Bingham’s.




I tried the Gluten Free Yam waffle with shaved clove – and I am telling you I don’t know if I have ever had a GF waffled that tasted this good. 
It came with 4 of their house made syrups – chocolate, ginger, hibiscus and lavender.  I even shared a few bites of my precious waffle, and it did not taste gluten free to the gluten eaters of the bunch. 



The D├ęcor of the place is right up my alley. Its very mid century modern, between the sputnik light fixtures, the atomic clocks and the glass ware it has a very cool vibe.


Another total plus about this place – they take reservations – how many Portland brunch places do that? 


For Grimm fans, you may have already seen The Slide Inn featured as Portland Java during Season 2. 
courtesy of The Slide Inn's Facebook page
I can't wait to go back to this place and try the rest of their offerings.  If you are looking for a great dining experience in Portland, gluten free or not, you definitely want to check them out!  


 The Slide Inn is located at 2348 SE Ankeny St. Portland OR 97214

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, that Rosti sounds like something to try out! And that yam waffle sounds like it's not sacrificing flavor while being gluten-free- yay! I've been a little suspicious of German + vegetarian and gfree since during my time in Germany, there was not a lot of "healthy eating" going on (more along of needing to have something to absorb all the beer in giant glasses...). But, sounds like I should give it a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love brunch and this place looks like perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brunch is one of my favorite meals. Although, that might just be my inner (or very outer) Hobbit talking. Sounds like my kind of place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I LOVE rosti!! My husband is from Switzerland and we always have it when we're there. So glad to know about a restaurant that serves it here -- thanks! And, a brunch place in PDX that takes reservations? I already love it because of that alone!

    ReplyDelete