Friday, January 10, 2014

Clementine Vodka


My original plan was to give this delicious libation as holiday gifts, however I was a little late on getting it started, fortunately it was ready just in time for one of the Portland Preservation Society meet ups.

Ingredients:
about 15 clementines
6 cups of 100 proof vodka
2/3 cup White Sugar

Juice enough of your clementines to get 2/3rds of a cup of juice. In a saucepan combine the juice and sugar and cook over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.

Put the juiced clementine shells in a large glass container. I used two 1 gallon mason jars.  I ended up cutting up the remaining clementines and adding them to the containers as well.

Evenly divide the  sugar mixture between the two containers and then add 3 cups of vodka to each.

Let sit in a cool dark place for at least 2 weeks - I ended up letting mine sit for 5 weeks.

Strain the vodka through a few layers of cheese cloth.  I picked up these fab bottles on Amazon, sterilized them and added the strained vodka.

It made 6 bottles (8.5oz each) plus a little extra. Store in the freezer so its nice and cold when you imbibe.




1 comment:

  1. Those bottles look awesome, it seems simple (although I think juicing is a pain...) but sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete