Saturday, December 14, 2013

Underground Herbal Spirit

Today I am reviewing Underground Herbal Spirit


Underground is manufactured in Utah by Ogden’s Own Distillery. I was honestly a bit surprised to hear about this company, I think because Utah immediately conjured images of Prohibition.  

The bottle is unique, it has that old timey vibe to it,  it looks like something I might order in a saloon. And if you know me, I am a sucker for interesting bottles. 

It’s a  blend of cassia (cinnamon), angostura (bitters), anise, cardamom, a couple flowering plants: gentian & yarrow , wormwood (used to make absinthe) , mate (like the tea), guarana, ginseng, molasses, orange oil, lemon oil, spearmint, pure cane sugar, agave and plum.

I wasn’t really sure how to use it at first, I know Brix Tavern here in PDX uses it in one of their cocktails.

Generally I am not a fan of anything with guarana, don’t even get me started on energy drinks… but since in this case its for flavor and not part of an energy drink I can make an exception.

The spirit is similar to something akin to Jagermesiter I suppose.  My husband said it reminded him of a digestif – something drank after dinner in France to help with digestion. 

The things I liked about it :
very low sugar content compared to similar liqueurs
the flavor (Its very licorice, which if you like licorice is a good thing)
its 80 proof
its gluten free

My hesitations about it:
I am just not that sure what I would use it for other then as a digestif (either served alone, or mixed with club soda, but I did enjoy it in this medium)
It could be interesting in a blood mary though.

All in all I thought it was tasty, if you are interested in trying it you can purchase it here 


This post is brought to you by the makers of Underground but all the thoughts/opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment