Sunday, December 8, 2013

Bourbon Bacon Jam



This year I am making a bunch of holiday gifts, one of which is going to be bacon jam. Cat is out of the bag I guess if I am posting about it but I think my friends and family won't mind I spoiled the surprise.

I have been wanting to make bacon jam for a few years and after perusing a few recipes I decided to just dive in.


Ingredients:
Adapted from SpoonForkBacon

4 lbs Applewood smoked bacon
3 onions, diced
8 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
salt to taste (depending on how salty your bacon is you will want to adjust this to your preference)
4 tsp ground pepper
2 cups bourbon (I used Bulleit Bourbon)
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
12 tbsp apple cider vinegar
7 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sweet paprika
4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 tsp ground ginger
4 tsp ground mustard
10 oz brewed coffee

Brown up all your bacon first until crispy - I like to use my oven for this step.  (Bake for about 20 minutes at 375 - keep an eye on it, it might take more time or it might take less depending on how thick the bacon is) Then set bacon aside.

On the stove in a saucepan,  mix together  about 4 tbsp of the bacon fat, onions, garlic and spices. Once the onion is translucent add the bourbon and reduce slightly.

Now this is where your crockpot comes in handy.  Break up the bacon into chunks. Put everything into the crockpot, salt it to taste and cook on high until the liquid is reduced by a lot, you want it mostly evaporated.  It took about four hours in the crockpot. I then used my stick blender and blended it together in short bursts. If you have a food processor you could put everything into that and blend it up until it is a texture you like, somewhere between having medium/small chunks and a paste.

I put it into the fridge to cool and then put them in jars the following day.  It is really yummy, I highly recommend you make it.

Enjoy! 




5 comments:

  1. What have you been using it on? I'm curious to find out what it's good paired with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to ask the same question Kira asked! It sounds sooooo good, I would probably just eat it by the spoonful ;) but other than crackers, what would you pair it with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband likes it on sandwiches, I bet it would be great on a grilled cheese, but it would probably also be good with eggs, on toast, or on a burger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must find a time to make this!! I second the suggestion of adding it to a grilled cheese- I think I've had it like that at a place in Seattle that also does bacon jam, and I think also uses it on breakfast sandwiches?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to put bacon on EVERYTHING ;)

    ReplyDelete