Friday, November 22, 2013

Pear & Blue Cheese Salad (Courtesy of Food Network.com)

Today I am bringing you a post courtesy of Food Network.com

When we had cable I would watch the Food Network for hours on end…. that and HGTV were my binge channels,now I have to save my binge watching for days I go to my parent’s house.   Which is exactly where I’ll be on Thanksgiving next week.


Along with the usual fixings, turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, its always nice to have a refreshing salad to help balance out the heavy food. But Leah - Brussels sprouts are green and healthy, well thats true, but when you roast them with bacon, the health quotient does suffer slightly. So the perfect remedy for this is a salad! 
There is just something about Pears & Blue cheese that go together so well not to mention this salad is both gluten free and paleo/primal if you are eating dairy. 

This yummy salad is featured over on The Food Network.com site.   Some people don’t care for blue cheese but I love it, especially with a nice vinaigrette. 

Pear & Blue Cheese Salad

Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup nuts (walnutspecans, almonds, or cashews)
  • 1 bunch watercress
  • 1 bunch arugula
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 Belgian endive
  • 2 ripe pears, such as Anjou, Bartlett, or Comice
  • 2 ounces mild blue cheese (about 1/2 cup loosely packed crumbles) 
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the nuts on a sheet pan in a single layer. Bake, shaking the pan occasionally, until the nuts are toasted and fragrant, about 7 to 10 minutes. Let the nuts cool, and then coarsely chop.
Trim the stems of the watercress and arugula. Wash and dry the leaves.
Meanwhile, whisk the vinegar and mustard together in a large salad bowl. Season with the 1/4 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream, to make a smooth, slightly thickdressing.
Halve the endive lengthwise, cut out core, then thinly slice crosswise and add all the lettuces to the bowl. Quarter and core the unpeeled pears and thinly slice; add to the salad. Scatter the cheese and nuts over the salad, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss the salad gently to evenly dress all the greens. Divide among 4 plates and serve immediately.

I personally like a really nice strong blue cheese flavor, but if you aren't a huge blue cheese fan like I am, then I would pick a more mild variety. 

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Love that you used watercress here with it's slightly spicy flavor with the pears and blue cheese. I know some people who don't like blue cheese and will often substitute a nice crunchy/crystally Italian cheese instead, which I think is a different kind of contrast to the pears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the combination of pears, walnuts, and bleu cheese! This sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this combo! So delicious. I will sometimes substitute Feta for blue cheese because I have family members who don't like it, but I think pears, walnuts, and blue cheese are fantastic together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH THAT LOOKS SO GOOD!!! YUM!!! I 'll definitely be trying this! Thanks for the idea!

    XX Brytani Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks so yummy! we are bringing brussel sprouts to Thanksgiving this year, I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete