Saturday, October 12, 2013

Macaron Fever

YUM! 

I feel like Macarons have been all over the place lately. Which is great because they are delicious. My in laws are visiting from France in a few weeks and I wanted to make some as a surprise for their arrival....the only problem, I don't think I have made them since culinary school and I don't even know if I made them then.

They can be pretty tricky. I was reading that even the best bakeshops throw away something around 25% of their macarons. If they don't look perfect they still taste delicious but once you get that perfect macaron there is a sense of satisfaction.
This is the recipe that I used. 

I opted to make a lemon cream cheese filling - I used David Lebovitz's recipe for lemon curd and then once it was cooled blended it with 2/3rds of a bar of softened cream cheese  (5oz-6oz roughly).  I wanted to lighten it up further to make it a bit more delicate, just like the shells are, so  I whipped up a small carton of heavy whipping cream and folded it in to the cream cheese lemon curd mix.
I then pipped it into the macaron shells.

I am still honing my technique since they can be temperamental, fortunately I have a week wks until they arrive.
Next batch I am going to try out hazelnut flour.

2 comments:

  1. Can't recall if I've ever had a macaron, but I know I've had macaroons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right - macaroons are *everywhere*! Because they are delicious!! I am thinking I need to try these in real life - lemon is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete