Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Gluten Free Blueberry Buttermilk Cake


 Organic blueberries were on sale at my local grocery store, which is kind of weird for this time of year, but I am not complaining! So I wanted to find a recipe that would make good use of them. And I think I have found it. This is a really delicious easy breakfast cake, its jam packed with blueberries. It would be good to bring to a potluck or make for a brunch or something quick to bring to work in the morning.
 
This recipe is adapted from Alexandra Cooks 
 
½ c butter
2 tsp lemon zest
¾ c plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp rice flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 egg room temp
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups blueberries (or more if you like ;) I used 3 pints)
½ c buttermilk
 
Grease a 6x6 pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream the butter and the sugar (3/4 + 2 tbsp). Add in the egg and vanilla. Toss the blueberries with the rice flour.
Add in the flour, baking powder and lemon zest alternating with the buttermilk until fully incorporated. Fold in the blueberries. Add batter to prepared pan and sprinkle remaining tbsp of sugar over the top. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Ah, a blueberry cake and banana bread are two things I have been craving so much recently! I have such a hard time finding easy and affordable GF recipes. I will definitely bookmark these two posts. I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog on the Portland Bloggers Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by Liz, Gluten Free baking can be very intimidating at first, I had plenty of baking fails before I got the hang of it. This cake was super delish, I hope you like it!

      Delete