Sunday, December 30, 2012

Great Granny's Gluten Free Butter Tart Slice

OK technically it cannot be a slice if we call it butter tart, but that’s just semantics. Butter Tarts are a Canadian staple around the holidays. Every single year we have had butter tarts since I can remember, and I didn’t want to miss out this year being gluten free!
Usually we make butter tarts out of premade pastry shells, which for some reason you cannot find here in the states, or make our own pastry, however we also sometimes make a bar version in my family, and I figured that might be the easiest way to adapt it to gluten free.  I will admit I cheated a little bit on this one, I used the Bob’s Red Mill shortbread mix, and it turned out great, next time I think I'll make my own shortbread base as the Bob’s mix makes quite a lot and was a little crumbly.   This is my great grandmother's recipe. 
For the Crust:
Bob’s Shortbread Mix
Prepare per the directions on the package and press into a 9x13 pan, lined with parchment paper.  Bake for 10 minutes. 
For the filling:
1 ½ cup seedless raisins (soak the raisins in warm water to plump them up a bit)

3/4 cup salted butter, melted
1 ½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 ½ cup light corn syrup

Mix together all the ingredients and pour over the crust. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes, or until set and browned. Let cool completely before slicing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment