Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Gluten Free Christmas Popovers


Popovers are a Christmas tradition in my family, one that I really wanted continue this year. After searching for a few GF popover recipes I found this one. The popovers turned out perfect. We will definitely be making these for Christmas dinner.

Popovers (sometimes called Yorkshire Pudding)
 4 eggs at room temperature (a good trick to warm up eggs right from the fridge  is to let them sit in hot water for a few minutes)
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon honey – if you are making savory ones you can omit this
1 cup popover mix flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
butter or bacon fat



Popover Flour Mix
2 cups white rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup cornstarch

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  
Place your popover pan in the oven to get very hot.
I was using my mom’s cast iron popover pan.
(Never put a cold cast iron pan in a hot oven)
Blend together eggs, milk and honey if using.  Then add in the flour and blend until the flour is fully incorporated and the mix is bubbly.
Once the oven is ready and pan is hot, add th butter or bacon fat to the pan, brush the fat up the edges of each cup. Pour batter into cups until about 2/3 full. Place pan immediately in hot oven and cook for 25 minutes. I found that baking them a little longer 27 minutes worked a bit better for me. NO NOT OPEN THE OVEN WHILE THEY ARE COOKING. Pierce the tops of the finished popovers with a knife to release the steam. Eat hot out of the oven!


For Christmas I think I will add a bit of chopped chives to the batter! 

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of popovers before. I'm going to have to try them.

    ReplyDelete