Friday, December 21, 2012

Cheeeeeezy goodness

These are seriously the best cheese crackers ever. Before going GF It never occurred to me to make my own crackers, but now if I am going to make or eat crackers, these are it. There are plenty of GF crackers on the market, but not only are they pricey, they aren't that great. These crackers are awesome, even gluten eaters love them. 


  •  4 oz. Cheddar Cheese, shredded          
     4 Tbs. Salted Butter, room temp
     3/4 c. Cornstarch
     1/4 tsp. Xantham Gum (I have made with and without, there isn't much difference if 
     you want to omit it)
     1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
     1/2 tsp Garlic powder
      2 Tbsp Milk, start out with this, I always add a little more depending
      on how the dough is coming together.

    Mix together the dry ingredients, cornstarch, baking powder and xanthan gum.
    Work in the butter using a pastry knife or a couple of forks, until the butter is in pea-sized lumps and smaller. Add in the shredded cheese. Slowly add in the milk until dough forms. You want it to just come together.
    Sprinkle cornstarch on your rolling surface, I like to put a piece of parchment paper down and roll out to1/4 - 1/8 inch thick. Cut out with cookie cutters. 
    Place on parchment and bake in a 400-degree oven for 8-12 minutes. You want the edges to be slightly browned, I have overcooked them and they are still delish, so it’s up to you how dark you want them to get. 

    I have made these crackers 5 or 6 times, I usually make a double batch because they go so quickly. Perfectly airy, crispy and cheesy bites of heaven!

5 comments:

  1. I've not tried a cracker made with cornstarch. I'll have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who makes cheese cripsy cracker things just out of grated parmesan and then bakes them on parchment paper. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, crazy to make your own cheesy crackers, but great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried crackers before! I will have to give these a go while my mom's visiting (she's new to GF). Sad I haven't seen you around Leah!! Hopefully I'll see you at the Portland BLogger Jan meetup? :) Have a great holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize I was missing stuff! Whoops. I will keep my eyes peeled for Jan!

      Delete