Sunday, November 18, 2012

Weekend Escape


This last weekend we headed out of town for a little R&R before the craziness of the holiday season and my finals hit. 
We stayed at a lovely bed & breakfast in Parkdale, located in the Hood River Valley. Aptly named The Old Parkdale Inn.



We were greeted & settled in Friday night by Mary, the owner, and her sweet pup Tilly.

Mary made us the most delicious breakfasts. On Sat we were treated to apple cherry crisp, fruit & yogurt, a vegetable omelet, sausage and breakfast potatoes.
On Sunday, pancakes with homemade pear butter!
Mary even accommodated my gluten allergy.

Our room was cozy and the bed so comfortable. We even had our own balcony.


During the day we explored the small quaint town, stopping in old shops and grabbing a cafe au lait for our stroll down the main street in the misty weather. 

We also went to the orchard farm 5 minutes from the inn and got  some fruit, it was a self serve stand since it is the off season. 

Each night we walked to the delicious Apple Valley BBQ for dinner. We liked it so much Friday we went back the following evening. They also were able to accommodate my gluten-free needs.

Parkdale is close to Mt Hood and activities are plentiful, hiking, skiing, going into town for a little shopping, visiting the many wine tasting rooms, stopping by some of the local orchards. And in the summer there are even more activities. It was just what we needed to recharge our batteries!


9 comments:

  1. What a cute place, I have never heard of that town before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either until I bought a living social for it. I think we will definitely stay there again it was great.

      Delete
  2. That is so smart! I think Kevin and I are going to need an R&R weekend maybe once the holidays are over...hmm I'll have to start looking into that! Missed you at the Blogger Meetup though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try and get to the next one to catch up with you all. Time has been getting away from me. It was a living social deal and it was a great time, highly recommended,I think you guys would really like it.

      Delete
  3. did your host have a recipe book? some of my favorite pretzels are gluten free and i'd like to try a pancake, too. thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if she did - I know she used Bob's Red Mill mixes for some stuff, but I bet you could email her - she has some recipes listed on the Inn's blog page but I don't know if the pancake recipe was there.

      Delete
  4. SOunds like such a fantastic weekend! Everyone needs a little R&R!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun, I haven't been to Parkdale but it's going on the list of Oregon spots to visit! It's sad how long I've lived in Oregon and how little of it I've actually seen. Time to change that :)

    ReplyDelete