Monday, November 26, 2012

I Spy Pecan Pie


This year I decided to make a gluten free pecan pie to go along with the rest of our Thanksgiving feast.
You may recall in August I made a number of pies for a wedding, except I used store bought crust, this time I wanted to make my own.

For the crust I used this recipe over at A Baking Life.  
From reading the comments/reviews and it being featured on a few other blogs I put my faith in this recipe, hoping I would be rewarded with a flaky buttery crust.
Oops the baking powder is missing!

For the pastry flour:
2 cups white rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch

For the crust:
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
1 cup gf pastry flour mix
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/8 tsp baking powder
2.25 oz cream cheese, cold, cut into chunks
2 1/2 Tbsp ice water

Cut the butter into small cubes. Wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze it until frozen solid, about 30 minutes.
Place the flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder in a ziplock gallon-size freezer bag and freeze for 30 minutes.

The original recipe says to put the flour into the food processor and then add the cream cheese, but since I don’t have a food processor I used a pastry blender. Cut in the cream cheese until it’s a coarse meal. Now add in the frozen butter and cut the butter in until there are about pea size.  Now its time for the water, I ended up using about 4 tbsp of water to get my dough to start to come together. Put the dough back into the ziplock and knead it from the outside of the bag until a dough starts to form and it sticks together. Form into a disc and put into the fridge. The original recipe says to let it rest 45 mins til overnight, mine sat for roughly 1 hour.

To roll out the dough use parchment paper, use a little rice flour if you are having an issue with sticking.  Roll out to your desired thickness. Place crust over pie pan and peel off parchment.  Fill and bake according to your recipe directions.

It rolled out just like regular pastry dough

At this point get that oven heating up – start it at 400 degrees. 

For the pecan filling:
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tablespoon rice flour
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans, plus additional whole pecans for decorating.
1 tsp lemon zest (or orange zest) minced

In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and then add in the melted butter. Stir in the brown sugar, white sugar and the rice flour.
Add the milk, vanilla and fold in the chopped pecans.
Pour into the unbaked crust you just made. Cover the top with the remaining pecans.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce temperature to 325 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done.

Ready to eat!
Note: The pie is done when the sides are set and the center is still slightly wiggly. The pie will continue to cook while its cooling. 

Update: The pie crust was a success! Everyone loved it and couldn't even tell it was gluten free :) Will 
definitely be using that recipe as my go to crust. 

4 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a gluten-free crust. A good crust is an essential part of a great pie. I am definitely going to give this a try. And the picture makes me drool .... well, maybe I'll make one tonight. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make a good gluten filled crust so I am happy to have found this recipe. And pecan pie w/out corn syrup, even better :)

      Delete
  2. This recipe looks great! I love gluten free crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited about it. Its pretty ridiculous.

      Delete