Monday, October 29, 2012

Totchos!

Here in Portland we love our taters, tater tots that is.  I would guess about 95% of pubs and restaurants have tots on their menu. Before moving to Portland I cannot recall this crispy little potato showing up on menus as often as they seem to around here.

This is not a healthy eating item, so I wouldn't recommend having it very often.

Tonight we are having tachos, all the fixings of a nacho on top of tater tots - one might argue that as potatoes are a vegetable they better for you then tortilla chips, I am not going to try and convince you, because we both know they aren't esp in tot form!
Totchos are another Portland favorite, they even have a facebook page!

Ingredients:
















1 bag tater tots
1/2 lb 5% ground beef
1/2 packet taco seasoning (watch out for hidden gluten, you can make your own, or check the prepackaged ones carefully)
green onion
tomato
shredded cheese
sour cream
guacamole

Cook the tots according to package directions. While cooking, brown the meat and add the taco seasoning. Cut up the tomato and green onion.

Once the tots are brown and crispy, assemble your totchos with cheese and beef first, then put them back in the oven until the cheese melts. Finish with onion and tomato and serve with guacamole and sour cream. They would probably be really great with olives and jalapeƱos as well. Or you could go all out and add black or pinto beans, and corn as well.


I don't care for raw tomatos 


5 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! How have I never had these before?!?! MUST MAKE NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE totchos! I recently made some too - (haven't posted about them yet...) :)

    I love Portland, and that you can find tots on so many menus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a delish comfort food treat! I haven't had tots since living in the dorms, but they are good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a good idea! simple but why haven't I done it before? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes i love me some taters that is for sure!! i love to pop those little morsels of potatoes into my mouth! as long as they aren't to hot and don't burn my mouth

    ReplyDelete