Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Super Easy Anything Goes Shredded Chicken

Since going back to school, one of my main things that I try and focus on is having easy, healthy, and delicious items on hand to whip up dinner easily.

One of these delicious components is shredded chicken. I personally love my crockpot, I use it for tons of things, and this just happens to be one of them. The really nice thing about doing it this way is that you can make it anytime and not have to worry about keeping an eye on it.

I suggest making a big batch and then freezing the chicken in baggies.

Ingredients:
8 chicken breasts, boneless/skinless
1 onion, diced (I cheated and used the pre-diced Trader Joe's package)
64oz chicken stock, or you could use water or 1/2 water.
2 tbsp garlic powder
5-6 stalks of celery



Put all the ingredients in the crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours, or you can do low if its going to be cooking for 8hrs. Once cooked remove the breasts from the crockpot and shred with a fork. Drain off almost all the liquid, reserving 3/4 to 1 cup. Mix together the shredded chicken and the broth.


I like to portion them into several individual freezer bags, approximately 1 cup of chicken per bag.  Then pop them into the freezer!

When ready to eat you can either remove the chicken from the bag or open the bag and put them right into the microwave. I personally like to remove them from the bag because I don't like putting plastic in the microwave, but my husband does it both ways.

Perfect for tacos, enchiladas, tacos, casseroles,chicken salad, pizza topping, buffalo chicken dip, add to BBQ sauce, etc.  A favorite at our house is making burrito bowls. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment