Thursday, October 11, 2012

Great Harvest Gluten Free

Since going gluten free one of my biggest vices has been bread.

I love bread.
I can take or leave the pasta.
I sometimes miss couscous & yakisoba noodles.
And I occasionally miss my Odwalla Superfood smoothie (Yup wheatgrass is a no-no if you are GF)

But not finding really great BREAD to me is the worst thing to me about being GF.

I just haven’t been able to find a good substitute for a nice hot and crusty French baguette.

I am half dreading the next trip we take to visit my in-laws (they live in France), I haven’t been to see them since I went GF and I am so sad I cannot eat the French bread.

On the other hand I have yet to try making it. I really need to test it out. I even have baguette pans, but I know gluten free dough doesn’t behave the same and I just haven’t gotten up the nerve to try it yet. I hope to one day perfect my own gluten free bread recipe but in the meantime I am happy to have something to tide me over.

Since going GF I have been looking for gluten free bread that doesn’t feel like a brick when you hold it, or has to stay frozen, or it tastes like a piece of cardboard
I think I may have found it at Great Harvest Bakery. Hooray!

The thing about this bread is that’s its really good. I tried it plain at the store and it tasted like a plain piece of regular bread. I personally don’t eat my bread plain, but it was a good way to test it out. I am curious to see how my husband likes it as well.

I bought two loaves, the Dakota, which is filled with yummy things like sunflower and pumpkin seeds and Cheddar Garlic. Both are made with brown rice flour instead of wheat flour.

They also carried a cinnamon chip, and a plain variety similar to white bread. The one out in Tanasbourne off 185th has the gluten free bread on every Tuesday and Thursday, and occasionally they will also have sweets like gluten free brownies as well.

They are not made in a dedicated facility, so I would err on the side of caution depending on your sensitivity.
I ate a slice during my lunch and 2 hours later have not had a reaction, so I would say they are pretty safe, but devour at your own risk!

No comments:

Post a Comment