Sunday, October 21, 2012

Gluten Free Madelines


This is the first time making Madelines, the recipe I used called for superfine flours, which I did not happen to have on hand, so I just used stone ground Bob's Red Mill.

1/3 c or 40 grams brown rice flour
1/3 c or 40 grams white rice flour
1/3 c or 40 grams tapioca starch
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 stick salted butter (8Tbsp or 1/2c)
1 tsp vanilla


Brown Butter on medium/low heat until it gets nice and brownand smells nutty, be careful not to burn it! I prefer to use a lower heat andtake a little longer doing it. Once nice and brown, set it to the side to cool.Brush a little of the butter in your Madeline molds and set that aside. 

This is what the butter should look like
My Madeline pan only fits 8 and the recipe makes 16  so for the 2nd batch I melted alittle butter in the microwave.  You canstrain the brown butter if you prefer, I choose not to.

Whisk together the dry ingredients, flours, sugar and thenadd in the beaten eggs and vanilla.  Onceincorporated slowly add the brown butter in a small stream mixing well.


Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to relax fora minimum of 1 hour.

Once it has had a chance to chill, preheat the oven to375. Scoop the batter, about the size of a large tablespoon,  into the prepared molds and bake for 13-15  or sominutes until they start to puff up a bit, mine took 14 minutes. Immediately remove from the pan bybanging it upside down over the cooling rack and let cool.

If you want to drip or drizzle the finished Madelines withchocolate, wait until they have completely cooled, and then temper somechocolate chips either over a double boiler or in the microwave and thendrizzle chocolate over or dip the cooled Madelines ½ way up with chocolate andlet them dry on a baking pan.

 Ithink they turned out pretty grand and my French husband can attest they alsotaste great, since he kept grabbing them before I could take pictures.
Definitely will be making these again!




Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I'm trying to bake more often and not be so afraid of it! I'm super impressed with all your yummies on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Macey! Baking is really therapeutic for me, that's great that you are baking more, excited to see what delicious goodies you make

    ReplyDelete