Sunday, October 7, 2012

Gluten free Hazelnut Shortbread

Ingredients
1/4 cup or 8 tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp. lemon zest     
1/2 cup  brown sugar
1 cup brown-rice flour
1 cup finely ground hazelnut flour
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (if you use salted butter you can skip this)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  I had two different pans I was deciding on using a tart pan, which ended up being much to large, and a spring form pan. I went with the spring form and cut a piece of parchment paper about 2 inches larger then the bottom of the pan.



Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together. Then add in the brown rice flour, lemon zest,  and ground hazelnuts, and salt if you are using it.
Press mixture into the prepared pan, score with a knife and bake for 40-55 minutes. I checked after 30, to make sure it wasn’t getting too brown, and took it out after 45 minutes.
I let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then removed it from the pan, which was pretty easy with the spring form, and let it cool on a wire rack.

Once cool cut on the score lines. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

At this point you could dip it into white or dark chocolate if you wanted to make it a little sweeter or leave it plain, which is what I did.

I think it would be delicious with a cup of tea or coffee. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment