Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Easy Fall Ginger Cake



You know the holiday season is upon us when holiday flavors start taking over. My husband is allergic to cinnamon and with my gluten allergy trying to find something gingerbread flavored is usually a bit of a challenge.

This cake is nice and gingery - perfect fall flavor!  Its pretty quick to whip together because of the pre made cake mix, and just a few other ingredients. I love cream cheese frosting, and I think its perfect with this cake.


For the cake:
1 package Bob’s vanilla cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 c applesauce
¾ c molasses
2 tbsp. ground ginger
Mix together vanilla cake mix & ground ginger.  
In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, molasses, applesauce. 
Use a stand mixer or hand beater and mix the wet into the dry.

Line a spring form pan with parchment to fit the bottom.
Preheat the oven to 325

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for approximately 45 minutes. Cake is done once a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove the spring form. Let cool completely

Cream cheese icing:
8oz cream cheese
¼ c butter
2-3 c icing sugar aka powdered sugar

Garnish: 1/2 cup crystalized ginger, optional - I picked some up from the bulk section of the market 

Whip the butter and cream cheese together; slowly add in the icing sugar until well incorporated. 

Ice the cake once its cool. Chop up the crystalized ginger and sprinkle over the iced cake. Enjoy!


10 comments:

  1. Mmm, I love ginger in all forms and this cake sounds fantastic! Bob's Red Mill never disappoints either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Bob's, I don't know what I would do without them.

      Delete
  2. Gasp! Allergic to cinnamon??! That's stinky! This cake looks amazing! I'm going to have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it stinks! Not only when it comes to baked goods, thai food, indian food, you never know where that sneaky spice might pop up.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Looks so yummy. Frenchie probly gobbled this up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I should get together and bake sometime--I think we operate on a very similar brainwave. Your cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I imagine we could come up with some delicious concoctions.

      Delete
  5. HELLO YUM, that sounds amazing. I love that brand of cake mix/baking goods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! I have never heard of someone being allergic to cinnamon before, how frustrating!

    ReplyDelete