Monday, October 1, 2012

DIY Coasters

So this weekend I had a lot going on, I did however try out a pumpkin version of the breakfast muffins I posted last week, and they were a total fail, hence me not posting them. I think maybe after some tweaks, they might work out.
I don’t know if I should decrease the oats or add more liquid, but they came out of the oven like a hockey puck, yet they were still slightly undercooked, not quite sure how that happened. Gluten free baking is always an adventure!

I also had the opportunity to do a couple crafting projects. While our husbands were out watching Dredd a girlfriend and I decided to try one of the pinterest projects on making coasters.

DIY Coasters
I am not a huge coaster user, but maybe that’s because I don’t own any adorable ones? So we got to work. I really need to get better at taking pictures during the process of crafting.
The supplies we used were:

White tiles from home depot (18 cents each!)
Scrapbook paper, we just picked whatever was on sale at Michaels
Modpodge
Foam brush
Felt

Tip: if you have the Michaels app, there are always coupons to use!

We cut out the paper to match the size of the tile, you could really do it however you wanted though, maybe leave a border, or cut out triangles, whatever strikes your fancy.

We then covered each square with modpodge and stuck on the paper. We let that try for a good 30 minutes, and then started covering the paper with more modpodge another 4 times, so it had a nice good coat.

To finish them up we have to spray them with a non water based sealer and add the felt to the bottom of the tile and then they are ready.

We made 16 coasters and still have plenty of modpodge and scrapbook paper left over for another craft! The cost per coaster is $0.81 and we still have leftover supplies.

I think they look pretty great and would be really nice Christmas presents.
I might get some more paper and make matching sets for friends.

Speaking of the holidays, I am currently trying to compile my lists of DIY for Christmas presents. Last year I made soap, which was pretty rad, so I think I’ll make soap again, and probably the coasters and likely something else, I keep scouring Pinterest for ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment