Thursday, October 4, 2012

Crock pot Brisket

I think I’ll save posting the shredded chicken recipe until the next time I make it so I can actually take a few pictures of the process, it’s pretty delicious so I know I’ll be making it again soon.
In the meantime, here is the brisket recipe, as promised. As I was packing it away in the fridge this morning it smelled wonderful, I can’t wait to eat it tonight!

The dogs love carrots, so when I am cutting them up, they are always hanging outside the kitchen hoping for a snack. I always cave and give them a few pieces of carrot.

Ingredients:
3 lb brisket, fat trimmed
3 medium yellow onions (I like a lot of onion; you could use less if you don’t) chopped into large pieces
6 carrots, chopped into large pieces
2 tbsp tomato paste
6 medium/large Yukon gold potatoes
4-6 cups Beef broth
5 cloves of garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste
1-3 tbsp Cornstarch
Cooking spray (I like Trader Joe’s olive oil spray)

Take the brisket and sprinkle the cornstarch over it, season with salt and pepper, really rub it into the meat, shake off the excess and repeat on the other side.
Heat up a pan large enough to fit the brisket on the stove, spray with cooking spray and cook the brisket for a few minutes until lightly browned, turn over and brown the other side, once browned remove from the pan and set it aside.

Place the onions in the pan and cook until they start to caramelize, and then add to the Crockpot.

Take the brisket and cover it with the tomato paste on one side. Then place the brisket in the Crockpot on top of the onions. Place the carrots on top of the brisket, and just make sure everything fits in the crock. Cover with the beef broth until the meat is just covered.
Add your cloves of garlic and season with salt and pepper.

Cook on high for 2 hours.
After the 2 hour mark, remove the brisket and slice against the grain into 1/4 to1/2 inch slices, the meat is going to be a little tough so slicing can be a bit difficult.
Return the slices to the pot and cut up the potatoes, I like to cut each potato into 6 or so pieces, that way they cook relatively well but don’t turn to mush. Place the potatoes in the pot and make sure there is enough beef broth to keep everything mostly covered, if its peaking out a bit that’s ok.

Replace the lid and lower the heat to low and cook for 8 hours. I did mine overnight.
The meat should be almost falling apart when it’s ready. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment