Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Cooking up a storm

So this past weekend I really meant to get all my cooking done for this week, but life got in the way as it sometimes does and it was postponed til today.

On the menu:
Zucchini lasagne, zucchini enchiladas, blue cheese dressing, brisket & shredded buffalo chicken.
Quite an undertaking for a Tuesday evening.
The good news: I got everything done but the brisket (hopefully I'll get it done tomorrow!)
The bad news: It was a lot to fit into 4 hours and I didn't nearly take enough photos.

Zucchini lasagne:
Adapted from Skinny Taste

Ground Buffalo
Ground Pork Sausage
1/2 Onion (medium yellow onion)
2 c Tomato sauce* Trader Joes has a great tasting gluten free one
1/2 c Ricotta cheese
1/2 c Cottage cheese
1/4 c Grated Parmesan
2 Zucchini, sliced to 1/8th inch slices

I browned the meat, drained the fat, added the onion, cooked until translucent, then set it aside.

Slice the zucchini into 1/8in slices, you can do it by hand or use a mandolin, I have a mandolin but since I had so many other things happening in the kitchen I choose to hand slice them.

I used this meat mixture for the enchiladas so I used 1lb of buffalo and 1/2 lb of sausage and then split it in half, each recipe had 3/4lb of meat.

I personally like to use a mix of ricotta & cottage cheese, I find the melting of both preferable to just using ricotta.

Layer the sauce, zucchini, cheese mixture, meat in a baking dish, then repeat, until you run out of ingredients.

Cover with foil & bake at 400 for 40 minutes.

*so a few weeks ago I made a giant batch of tomato sauce, I then decided to freeze it, in a glass jar, something I have done many times before however this time the glass broke and I had a tomato sauce mess on my hands.

Zucchini Boats:
Adapted from Skinny Taste
Use 3/4lb of the meat mixture
4 small zucchinis
1c Chipotle salsa
1/2c Enchilada sauce
1/2c Cheddar cheese, shredded
5 Green onions

Cut the zucchinis in half. Hollow out the middle leaving a bit of an edge.
Place the enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Lay the zucchini "boats" in the pan and fill each boat with the meat mix. Spoon the salsa over each boat, then top with shredded cheddar cheese.

Bake at 400 for 35-45 minutes or until the zucchini is tender. Serve with rice!

Note: I shred my own cheese- quite often gluten ingredients are added to pre shredded cheese to prevent the shreds from sticking together.

Look for the Buffalo chicken & Brisket posts tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment