Thursday, October 25, 2012

Baking with Buckwheat

So a couple nights ago I tried making an almond poppy seed cake with Buckwheat flour: I have wanted to cook with buckwheat flour for a while and I came across a recipe that incorporated it. I made some minor adjustments based off what I had on hand.

First off a little about Buckwheat:

Buckwheat is not a cereal and not related to wheat. It is closely related to sorrels, rhubarb and knotweeds.
Buckwheat is great for you nutritionally, it’s high in iron!

It is safe for those with celiac disease and gluten allergies/intolerance.
Buckwheat is also planted as a cover crop for beekeeping, since it produces a high volume of flavorful nectar, however those with bee allergies should be careful when using buckwheat flour.

This is what I learned:

Positive:
Texturally it was pretty good, almost exactly like a cake make with wheat flour
It tasted almost like an almond poppy seed cake

Negatives:
I used olive oil and you could taste it, a lot of it.
The cake looked like a grayish chocolate cake

So I have decided to make it again, with a few adjustments, I am out of poppy seeds and decided to add in some chocolate, and I took out the oil all together.

I  also decreased the buckwheat flour by adding more brown rice flour and adding the cocoa.


Dry ingredients by weight:
3.30 oz buckwheat flour
0.50 oz Cocoa powder
2.65 oz brown rice flour
1.76 oz almond meal
3.80 oz granulated sugar

Tsp-tbsp of butter
2 tsp baking powder
1 c milk
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
5 oz chocolate chips (I like to use semi sweet)


Preheat oven to 350
Mix dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl (flours, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder)
In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients (milk, extract, eggs)
Mix wet ingredients into dry and pour into a prepared pan (butter the sides and bottom of a spring form pan)
Bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then unmold from the pan and cool on a wire rack.

I think it looks pretty good and it tastes really good. I omitted all the oil, but I think next time I'll either add in applesauce or melted butter in place of it, as it had started to dry out noticeably by the next morning. 

2 comments:

  1. that's awesome! never baked with buckwheat before
    thanks for sharing :)

    happyleeliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Its an interesting grain to experiment with :)

    ReplyDelete