Sunday, September 2, 2012

Gluten free coconut poke cake

I celebrated my birthday this week! For my birthday cake, yes I made my own cake, I'm just getting the hang of gluten free baking so I don't expect my family and friends to attempt cooking for me, especially with all the special flours needed.

I decided on a coconut poke cake- I have been craving coconut lately for some reason- maybe its the warm weather we have been having.

Most of the recipes I tried to find online called for pre made gluten free cake mix- I personally like to make my own.
I adapted it from a recipe of my mom's that is from the 70s, amazingly enough it uses rice flour as the main ingredient.

I doubled the recipe:

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar ( I didn't double this aspect, with the coconut cream going overtop I didn't want it to sweet, original was 3/4 c)
4 eggs
1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (I didn't double this)
1/4 tsp almond extract(not doubled either, it's strong stuff!) you could easily substitute rum or coconut flavoring.
1 can coconut cream

Cream together butter & sugar, then add eggs & extract.
Then add the dry ingredients.
Pour into a prepared pan, I use trader joes olive oil spray.
And bake for 35-40 minutes @ 350 until golden and a toothpick comes out clean.

Immediately poke holes with a fork all over the top as soon as it comes out of the oven. Then pour your can of creamed coconut over the top.
Tip: make sure you really shake or stir the coconut before pouring it on the cake as it does separate in the can.
Spread it around so it soaks in.
Let it cool. Once cool put it in the fridge to cool for a couple hours.

Once cool, spread with whipped cream and top with unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted or untoasted depending on your preference. I think the toasted looks a bit nicer.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. The text says you used rice flour, but it's not listed in the ingredients. Is this the whole recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good catch! It's 3/4 c rice flour in the original recipe, so for this double it for 1.5 cups of rice flour.

      Delete